Anterior Mid-Cingulate Cortex, Freelancing Secret to Unleash Your Inner David Goggins

anterior mid cingulate cortex secrets to build willpower

Yes, I know I may have exaggerated the title. I got carried away with the Dr. Huberman and David Goggins interview a few days ago. The part where Dr. Huberman told David Goggins about the anterior midcingulate cortex (aMCC) fascinated me. 

On the show, Dr. Huberman told David about his recent research. He found there is a specific part of our brain that grows larger when we engage in activities we don't want to do. He stated, this part can expand in obese individuals when they diet, and it's more prominent in athletes. Moreover, it grows even larger in people who perceive themselves as challenged and successfully overcome obstacles.

When I heard this statement, I experienced a moment of realization. All this time, we have been tirelessly searching for methods to cultivate our inner strength or, as parents, finding ways to enhance our children's ability to face adversity. Little did we know that it already exists within us. God has instilled that "capital" within us.

The most crucial aspect is that training it is not difficult; we simply need to engage in activities we dislike (the ones that are beneficial, of course). For instance, establishing an exercise routine, reducing our dependence on social media scrolling, switching off our phones two hours before bedtime, and adopting other positive habits.

Although scrolling through social media or switching off our phones a couple of hours before sleep seems insignificant, believe me, if you are a drama addict, and there's an ongoing show you enjoy, the challenge of adhering to these habits becomes even more real.

Anterior Midcingular Cortex, your secret to building willpower 

Upon discovering the existence of the aMCC, I couldn't help but ponder: Could this region potentially aid us in achieving our New Year's resolutions?

I have vivid memories of my past New Year's resolutions, which often fade away faster than the billable hours I accumulate as a freelancer. Each year, I start with great enthusiasm, meticulously planning strategies to attract my dream clients. However, by mid-January, the initial excitement wanes, and I find myself entangled in a battle between procrastination and productivity. Despite my efforts to muster willpower, I gaze at my planner in bewilderment, wondering how I veered off track from the goals I had set for myself.

In conversations with friends, I discover that this struggle is all too familiar, which perhaps explains why we've developed a disdain for New Year's resolutions. We find ourselves trapped in internal dialogues filled with whispers of "what if" and plagued by self-doubt, ultimately leading us back to the comfort zones we know so well.

We then attribute our inability to progress to a lack of inner strength. Our inner critics grow louder as we witness some friends sharing their success stories, leaving us questioning why those triumphs aren't our own. Eventually, we reach a point where we denounce New Year's resolutions altogether.

Finally, I embark on a quest to uncover specific exercises that could empower the anterior mid-cingulate cortex (aMCC) as a freelancer.

Of course, there are no specific training programs targeting the growth of the aMCC, but there are activities and practices that can indirectly stimulate and enhance the functioning of this brain region. 

The aMCC is associated with cognitive control, decision-making, conflict resolution, and error detection. So, I list some activities for freelancers that can potentially benefit the aMCC:

1. Mindfulness meditation: Regular mindfulness meditation practice has been shown to strengthen cognitive control and improve attention regulation. It involves focusing your attention on the present moment and cultivating non-judgmental awareness. 

2. Time management techniques: Efficiently managing time and prioritizing tasks require cognitive control and decision-making abilities. I knew, how significance of this managerial skill for freelancers. However, I also come across numerous friends who continue to struggle with it. So, if you find yourself facing a similar challenge, now is the opportune moment to actively engage in practicing and honing this ability. 

You can explore techniques such as the Pomodoro Technique, Eisenhower Matrix (prioritizing tasks based on urgency and importance), or other productivity methods that align with your working style.

anterior mid cingulate cortex secrets to build willpower


3. Learning and adapting to new skills: Continuously learning and acquiring new skills challenges the brain and promotes cognitive flexibility. And I am sure you have already knew, learning new skills is a must for us, freelancers. Now is the perfect time to start compiling a list of the skills you want to learn this year. 

4. Engaging in challenging projects: Taking on projects that push your boundaries and require problem-solving, critical thinking, and decision-making can stimulate the aMCC. Look for opportunities that challenge you intellectually and professionally, allowing you to grow and expand your capabilities.

5. Seeking feedback and learning from mistakes: Actively seeking feedback on your work and embracing constructive criticism can enhance error detection and conflict resolution processes associated with the aMCC. Learning from mistakes and incorporating feedback helps improve decision-making skills and adaptability.

6. Engaging in reflective practices: Regularly reflecting on your work, identifying areas for improvement, and setting goals can promote self-awareness and support cognitive control processes. Journaling, self-assessment, or discussing your work with peers or mentors can facilitate this reflection.

However, you should remember, that those activities are based on indirect methods to support cognitive processes associated with the aMCC. Our brain is a complex organ, and individual results may vary. It's important to maintain a holistic approach to brain health and well-being, including physical exercise, a balanced diet, and adequate rest, to support overall cognitive function.

In my experience, when I started developing the habit of reading the Quran after each of my five daily prayers, I often struggled with the temptation to cheat. My inner dialogue constantly reminded me of the workload I had to complete. However, I motivated myself by recognizing that dedicating just ten minutes to this habit was not a significant amount of time.
Now I realize that cultivating habits has helped me overcome chronic procrastination, while also enhancing my consistency and willpower. 

You can also look to David Goggins, his relentless drive and unwavering focus are often attributed to his mental fortitude. While we may not all have Goggins-esque aMCCs, understanding aMCC role in our internal battles can be a powerful tool. By recognizing the neurological basis of distractions, procrastination, and self-doubt, we can develop strategies to outsmart our inner critic and turn the tide in our favor.



References: 
1. sciencedirect.com
3. Huberman Lab Clips: How to Build Willpower | David Goggins & Dr. Andrew Huberman

Post a Comment

0 Comments