The Secret Sauce to Sustainable Progress is Building Habits: an Experience from My Atomic Habits in Action


building habits helps you achieve goals

The New Year's buzz has settled, but for many of us, the year's reflections and aspirations are still alive. Some linger on 2023's lessons, while others start building habits to set their sights on resolutions. Though formal resolutions may fall out of favor, the desire for a fresh start, filled with hope and improvement, remains deeply ingrained. We dream of a year brimming with prosperity and surpassing the one that just ended. 

Alas, wishes, resolutions, and even fervent prayers rarely bloom into reality without the sweat of action. This, perhaps, is why New Year's vows often wither on the vine. We confess that when it comes to these aspirations, our gaze often fixes on the result rather than the steady climb of the path itself. Much like life's grand goals, these resolutions crave not just whispers of hope on paper but the grit and grace of real, sustained effort. 

Turn dream into habits, a way to focus on the process and journey, not a destination 


The phrase "focus on the process, not the result" has been echoing through conversations ever since "Atomic Habits" hit the scene. It might sound like theoretical fluff, but trust me, it's more than just a trendy slogan. It's the secret sauce to actually achieving your goals. 

Take me, for example. Every New Year, I'd make up a grand list of resolutions—buying a house without loans, finally getting that motorcycle, shedding five stubborn kilos—you name it. And to make it all magically stick, I'd even turn my desires into passwords for emails, bank accounts, and the whole nine yards. (Honestly, if I remember those passwords now, it's a miracle in itself!).

But guess what? My resolutions often fizzled out faster than a sparkler on the Fourth of July. It was all about the end goal—the shiny prize at the finish line—without a single thought for the journey itself.

My lightbulb moment arrived during the "27 Hari Mengubah Hidup" class by Motiva Kreasi. Through some exercises in the class, I truly grasped the concept of focusing on the process by building a habit, not just the result. This realization made me understand why so often we get caught up in practicing LOA or saying more prayers, mistaking them for the actions we need to take to reach our goals.

Thus, instead of fixating on the house and the motorcycle, I focused on building habits that would naturally lead me there. I started walking more, cooking healthy meals, and learning about budgeting. It wasn't about "5 kg less" anymore, but about making healthier choices each day.

And guess what? The magic started to happen. The weight started shedding, my bank account grew a little stronger, and even that motorcycle dream felt a little closer.

building habits helps you achieve goals

Turning your dream into a habit isn't about instant gratification but about the satisfaction of progress, the joy of learning, and the thrill of every small victory. Instead of chasing fleeting resolutions, I advocate for transforming your dreams into actionable routines.

Take my own journey as a content marketer as an example. In early 2022, I dreamt of career advancement, but I recognized the gap between my aspirations and my skills. So, I embarked on a deliberate path, enrolling in Hubspot Academy and attending relevant courses. While I didn't land the dream content marketer role in 2022, my dedication paid off in 2023.

This experience taught me a valuable lesson: luck favors the prepared. That's why, from that day on, my New Year's resolutions no longer focus on the result but rather serve as a compass, guiding me towards continuous growth throughout the year.

I wrote my new year resolution, "Writing 800 words with a Forbes-style voice every day for 30 minutes" rather than "Writing 120 articles in a year."



Focusing on the process isn't a guarantee, but it's a compass. It's about building habits, making choices that align with your goals, celebrating every step along the way, and learning from the detours. It's about the journey, not just the destination. And trust me, when you embrace the process, the results have a funny way of taking care of themselves. By the end of the year, you'll be impressed with your own growth, realizing you've consistently moved forward instead of clinging to an unfulfilled new year.

So, ditch the pressure cooker mentality and embrace the slow burn. Focus on building a habit, making the right choices, and winning a small win that paves the way. Because in the end, it's not about reaching the finish line but about the incredible journey that gets you there.

Post a Comment

0 Comments