My Approach to Effective Learning as a Working-from-Home Mother and Freelancer

effective learning tips for whm and freelancers

If you want to strive in the world of freelancing, you should never neglect the importance of learning. Working in this field requires continuous knowledge updates. According to an article from Camvision Edu, a professional should update their CV 2-3 times a year. In other words, that we need to learn new skills three to four times a year. 

In this era of AI, the skill requirements for various jobs, such as my specialization as a content writer, seem to be constantly increasing. Although many content writing jobs explicitly prohibit the use of AI, it is not uncommon to come across opportunities that emphasize the importance of being familiar with AI tools for content creation. 

So, how can one effectively learn as a freelancer, particularly as a busy housewife? Here is my personal experience on how to stay updated with knowledge despite the demands of motherhood and freelance work. 


Effective Learning Methods for Stay-at-Home Moms and Freelancers 

Since my last contract with a personal development training institution ended, I have taken several classes related to my role as a content writer. During that time, I realized that my busy schedule not only caused me to neglect my two beloved blogs, but also left me behind in many aspects, whether it be the latest developments in the freelance world or the technical skills related to my specialization. 

I have become more aware of the importance of setting aside time for learning as a freelancer. If it's possible, I recommend doing so every three months. However, if you have limited time, for example, if you have dual roles like me, try to at least add one or two new skills each year. Feeling unsure of where to start? I hope my learning method can be of assistance. 

Learning Step #1: Determine your current position 

Whenever I talk about self-improvement or learning something new, I always use the approach of self-coaching, a discipline commonly used to maximize oneself potential. 

In self-coaching, it is highly recommended to ask questions related to the challenges we are facing (in this context, it's about updating our skills or knowledge). Therefore, the first thing to do in self-coaching is to become self-aware by analyzing our current situation and the desired state we want to achieve. 

I usually use the following questions when initially selecting a class, book, or new knowledge that I want to learn: 

1. Questions related to goals and motivation: 
  • What is my purpose in learning this new skill? 
  • Why do I want to learn this new skill or knowledge? 
  • What benefits will I gain from learning this new skill or knowledge? 

2. Questions for self-understanding: 
  • What skills or knowledge do I currently possess? 
  • What skills or knowledge do I want to improve? 
  • What challenges might I face in learning this new skill or knowledge? 

3. Questions related to strategies and plans: 
  • How will I learn this new skill or knowledge? 
  • What resources do I need to learn this new skill or knowledge? 
  • How will I measure my progress? 

4. Questions related to commitment and learning plan: 
  • How much time am I willing to allocate to learning this new skill or knowledge? 
  • What concrete steps will I take to learn this new skill or knowledge? 
  • How will I maintain my motivation to continue learning? 

Take a moment to answer the questions above. I suggest using a dedicated notebook to make it easier to review or create a journal on the topics being studied. 

The self-coaching-based questions above will help you recognize your potential and identify weaknesses that can be overcome. This way, you will make more informed decisions about whether to continue with the chosen lessons, postpone them for a certain period, or take other actions. 

effective learning tips for whm and freelancers

Learning Step #2: Creating a learning curriculum 

If you're planning to take a course or mentorship, please skip this step. 

While understanding the importance of learning, it must be acknowledged that many of us are often constrained by costs. As for me, being part of the sandwich generation, I have to prioritize my family's needs, and the budget for learning is often only available after fulfilling those needs. 

Instead of letting costs hinder my growth, I seek out free online courses or create my own affordable learning pathways to stay informed and skilled.

When it comes to self-study, having a structured curriculum is crucial to ensuring effective learning and easier time allocation. The process is not difficult; simply answer questions related to the desired learning outcomes. For example, if I want to learn about content marketing, I would start by understanding the meaning of content marketing and the knowledge required to become an expert in it. Then, I would break down the above answers into my own curriculum. 

You can also use AI to compile a learning curriculum. I often ask Gemini (previously Google Bard) to help me crafting my learning curriculum. But you can also use several AI tools and online platforms in brainstorming learning ideas. 

Here are a few examples: 
  1. OpenAI's GPT-3: GPT-3 is a highly advanced language model that has the ability to generate innovative and insightful ideas. By providing prompts or questions related to your learning goals, GPT-3 can offer suggestions, resources, and even help you outline a comprehensive learning curriculum. 
  2. MindMeister: MindMeister is an online tool specifically designed for creating mind maps. It allows you to visually organize your thoughts and ideas. You can start with a central topic, such as your learning goal, and then expand into different subtopics and related concepts that are part of your learning journey. 
  3. Coggle: Coggle is another web-based mind-mapping tool that enables you to create interactive and dynamic mind maps. It offers collaboration features, allowing you to work with others to brainstorm and refine your learning ideas. These mind maps can help you visualize connections between different concepts and facilitate a structured approach to learning. 
  4. Padlet: Padlet is a versatile online platform that enables you to create virtual bulletin boards. It is a space where you can gather and organize a variety of resources, ideas, and notes related to your learning goals. With Padlet, you can easily incorporate multimedia content such as images, videos, and links, enhancing your learning experience. 


Learning Step #3: Determining study time 

Some of my fellow stay-at-home moms said that defining perfect study time is not easy. Especially if you have young children to take care of and you also have to juggle responsibilities, such as picking up and dropping off the kids, managing household chores, and much more. 

However, there is one thing that is often overlooked by mothers: has all the available time been utilized effectively? What if, once in a while, we try to write down our activities for a week, also known as keeping a log of our activities? 

The solution to managing time is sometimes quite simple: recognizing how we spend our daily time. Once we identify patterns in our daily activities, it becomes easier to determine study time. You can utilize the technique of time blocking to allocate specific time slots and durations for studying. 

One thing you should always remember that; though learning is important, the first priority for all of you is still to complete your work. It's crucial to ensure that study time doesn't interfere with your source of income. 

effective learning tips for whm and freelancers
Learning journal can help you learning effectively


Also, set realistic learning goals. If you only have one hour of free time in a week, focus on studying one topic first. It's better to take it slow and thoroughly understand the material rather than forcing yourself and disrupting other activities. 

Learning Step #4: Take the action 

All the well-organized plans and curriculum will amount to nothing if they remain mere discussions. So, take immediate action and execute your learning plan as you have planned. 

Don't forget to supplement your learning with practical application, such as working on personal projects. If possible, seek feedback from experts in the field related to the knowledge you are acquiring. 


Investing time and effort in learning and improving skills may not be easy. However, based on experience, this will create more opportunities for work and enhance our value as freelancers. Hopefully, the above tips will assist you in your learning journey and address the challenges faced in the freelance world. 

Happy learning! 


Post a Comment

0 Comments